Comfort Salkantay Trek – 5 days
[Price upon request]
If you are seeking for an alternative route to reach Machu Picchu in the most comfortable way and avoiding the crowds, then this trek is perfect for you!
Trekking, Wildlife, Nature
COMFORT SALKANTAY TREK – 5 DAYS
We have a expert team of travel specialists, who have all turned their passion for travel into a vocation. Between them, they have visited nearly every corner of Peru and Bolivia..
We curate tailor-made, truly individual travel experiences for our clients. View Peru & Signatures approach leaves our travellers with unforgettable memories.
At every stage of your holiday, from inception to conclusion, a View Peru and Signatures hand will be there to guide you.
WE ARE THE OPERATORS
View Peru and Signatures is the Operator of all your experiences in Peru and Bolivia, This ensures a seamless holiday experience.
CUSCO – SORAYPAMPA - SOYROCOCHA (L, D)
● Trek starting time: 09:30 am
● Arrival to campsite: 17:00 pm
● Minimum altitude: Soraypampa Town – 3920 masl/ 12860.9 ft.
● Maximum altitude: Soyrococha campsite – 4480 masl/14698.2 ft.
● Distance covered: 7 kms/4.4 mls (6 hours walking approx.)
● Difficulty: Moderate to Challenging.
● Meals included: Snacks, lunch, tea time and dinner.
We will start our today’s adventure with an early pick up from your Cusco hotel. Once you had enjoyed breakfast (or perhaps you will request a box breakfast to enjoy it on the way), our expert guide will welcome you and escort you in our private transportation and transfer you through the northwest part of Cusco. After the 3.5 hours we will head Soraypampa town (3920 mts/12860.9 ft). Upon our arrival, our guide will provide us the final instructions in order to start our exciting trek. If you are interested in Humantay Lake then it is possible to accomplish this visit in 3 hours approx. (roundtrip) but please take in mind that later you will have to walk faster in order to reach our campsite on time.
The trek begins winding through an amazing valley, it goes up for 3.5 hours to get an overwhelming panoramic view of the snow-capped peaks and surroundings. We will appreciate the Salkantay (6271 mts/20574.2 ft) which means “Wild Mountain” and the Humantay (5862 mts/19232.3 ft) or “Head of the Gods”, as well as endemic flora and fauna characteristic of the area that you will be able to capture with our cameras. Then we will reach Salkantaypampa (4154 mts/13628.6 ft) where lunch await us.
We will keep hiking for another 2.5 hours towards our campsite called Soyrococha (4480 mts/14698.2 ft). You will have some time to peacefully rest. After dinner, you will enjoy your first night under the tranquility of the Andes’ sky in your comfortable bedroom tent.
ALKANTAY PASS – COLLPAPAMPA (B, L, D)SOYROCOCHA – S
Continuing our adventure and after an early and delicious breakfast, we will begin our second day hike which will be a challenging day as we will cover more distance and hike for 1.5 hours towards Salkantay Pass (4638 mts/15216.5 ft) once we reach it, the Salkantay Mountain (6271 mts/20574.2 ft) will welcome us with its stunning presence and give us marvelous landscapes ideal for taking superb photos. As a reward and to celebrate this milestone, we will toast with a well-deserved glass of champagne. If you are interested and are an experienced hiker, there is another turquoise water lagoon called Salkantaycocha which takes 01-hour roundtrip hike and offers exclusive and isolated panorama.
As we keep on the trail, there will be a noticeable increase of the abundant and lush colorful endemic vegetation of the area, therefore the quantity of mosquitoes will also increase; so remember to apply your repellent periodically. The descent will continue for 3.5 hours until we reach our lunch place, Wayracmachay (3906 mts/12814.9 ft).
Next, we will head to our campsite for another 4 hours, along the way we will see some interesting sites such as Andenes and Chaullay, where is possible to appreciate a vast vegetation of wild orchids, bromeliads and other flora species proper of the area. By the time we reach Collpapampa campsite (2870 mts/9416.0 ft) we will enjoy the magnificent warm climate of the cloud forest. When it is time for dinner you can share your fantastic photos with your guide and then enjoy of a restful and soundly sleep in your tent.
● Wake-up time: 05:30 am
● Trek starting time: 07:00 am
● Arrival to campsite: 17:30 pm
● Minimum altitude: Collpapampa campsite – 2870 masl/ 9416.0 ft.
● Maximum altitude: Salkantay Pass – 4638 masl/15216.5 ft.
● Distance covered: 17 kms/10.6 mls (9 hours walking approx.)
● Difficulty: Challenging.
● Meals included: Breakfast, snacks, lunch, tea time and dinner.
COLLPAPAMPA – PLAYA SAHUAYACO (B, L, D)
● Wake-up time: 05:45 am
● Trek starting time: 08:30 am
● Arrival to campsite: 13:30 pm
● Minimum altitude: Playa Sahuayaco campsite – 2100 masl/ 6889.8 ft.
● Maximum altitude: Collpapampa campsite – 2870 masl/ 9416.0 ft.
● Distance covered: 15 kms/9.3 mls (5 hours walking approx.)
● Difficulty: Easy to Moderate.
● Meals included: Breakfast, snacks, lunch, tea time and dinner.
Today, after a wholesome breakfast to renew energy as await us a 5-hour hike through the most beautiful day of the trek, where you will admire the magnificent flora and sprawling plantations. Our hike will keep descending into a thick cloud forest that will surround us with orchids, bromelains, and other amazing and exotic flora. After exiting the thick forest, we will come upon a secluded valley filled with expansive coffee, cacao and fruit plantations. During this journey, we will pass through the farming villages of Wiñaypoco (2650 mts/8694.2 ft) and Lluscamayo (2420 mts/7939.6 ft) that own plantations of diverse products like bananas, passion fruit and others. We will also encounter some local families and have the possibility to speak with them and learn about their lifestyle.
Lastly we will arrive to our final campsite named Playa Sahuayaco (2100 mts/6889.8 ft) for lunch. After you have finish lunch, you will have some time to rest and then, it is time for a complete private tour of coffee plantations by our knowledgeable guide. Right after we will move on for a restorative dinner.
Being this the last night with all of our crew, we suggest to share a final toast with them. Cheers! or, as we say here Salud!
PLAYA SAHUAYACO - AGUAS CALIENTES (B, L, D)
We expect that you had enjoyed all the fascinating hike so far, and this day will require the final effort of waking up early to have a succulent breakfast at 05:00 am approx. and the follow the largest portion of the hike.
Proceeding with the trail, we will take a 20 mins ride in a private transportation to Lucmabamba (2062 mts/6765.1 ft) where an authentic inca trail is waiting to be rediscovered by us! This 3.5 hours uphill trail towards Llaqtapata archaeological site (2736 mts/8976.4 ft) are almost fully covered by the typical vegetation of the forest, once we reach the site we will appreciate part of Machu Picchu citadel and the surrounding mountains from a totally different perspective. Unveil all its ancient secrets accompanied by your specialized guide and take some beautiful photos on the process. Then, it is time to have a delicious lunch with exceptional views at the picturesque Llaqtapata Lodge Viewpoint (2570 mts/8431.8 ft). Also due to its location, you will be able to have the most splendid views of Veronica Mountain, Vilcanota River and more. Afterwards, we will head down for another 2 hours to Hydroelectric train station (1771 mts/5810.4 ft) where we will have some rest before continuing hiking parallel to the train tracks for another 3 hours in order to reach Aguas Calientes town. The flora and fauna abounds along this trail where you can glimpse the variety of orchids and other greenery vegetation.
Finally, and after our tremendous 4 days’ excursion, we will reach Aguas Calientes town (2070 mts/6791.3 ft) and be escorted to your hotel. Once you had settled at your hotel and coordinated with your guide the pick-up time for the following day, it’s time for a well-deserved restful sleep.
● Wake-up time: 04:30 am
● Trek starting time: 06:00 am
● Arrival to Aguas Calientes: 17:00 pm
● Minimum altitude: Hydroelectric – 1771 masl/ 5810.4 ft.
● Maximum altitude: Llaqtapata archaeological site – 2736 masl/ 8976.4 ft.
● Distance covered: 22 kms/13.7 mls (8.5 hours walking approx.)
● Difficulty: Challenging.
● Meals included: Breakfast, snacks, lunch and dinner
AGUAS CALIENTES - MACHU PICCHU - CUSCO (B, L, D)
● Pick up time: 07:00 am
● Tour starting time: 08:00 am
● Arrival to Cusco: 21:56 pm
● Minimum altitude: Aguas Calientes Town – 2070 masl/6791.3 ft.
● Maximum altitude: Machu Picchu citadel – 2430 masl/ 7972.4 ft.
● Difficulty: Easy.
● Meals included: Breakfast
Early in the morning, our knowledgeable guide will pick you up from your hotel in order to catch the bus up to the citadel for a 30 mins ride. Sometimes and especially in high season (April to July) we will have to be patient as the queues to go up to this World Wonder will be longer than expected, but with the help of your qualified guide and a bit of good humor there is nothing impossible!
Seeing the impressive Machu Picchu citadel (2430 mts/7972.4 ft) will definitely worth all the effort that we invested the previous days. Our knowledgeable guide will teach us about the magnificent theories about the purpose of Machu Picchu, the history of its buildings and of course, about the millenary culture of the Incas. Once you have fully enjoyed and take all the perfect photos you will have some time to explore the site at your own leisure.
At the most opportune you can head down to Aguas Calientes, on time to board your standard train back to Cusco. Once you have arrived, you will be greeted by a representative at the train station who will transfer you back to your hotel in Cusco.
- A private, hand-crafted and fully personalized Comfort trek from start to finish.
- Professional knowledgeable english-speaking guide
- 03 nights of Comfort camping.
- 01 night at a trusted Aguas Calientes 3* hotel
- All entrance fees and permits required
- Machu Picchu entrance ticket
- Round trip bus tickets from Aguas Calientes
- Standard train ticket on the return
- All meals during the program (B: Breakfast, L: Lunch, BXL: Boxed Lunch, D: Dinner)
- All overland private transportation for customers.
- Fully trained porters hailing from local communities to carry the main luggage (all the equipment and cooking stock)
- Private extra porter for your personal stuff (5 kg/15.4 lb in total).
- Duffle bags for your belongings
- Sleeping bags and air mattress
- Modern trekking camping equipment
- Portable hot shower and amenities
- Portable chemical toilet: Cleanwaste toilet system and toiletries.
- First aid kit and oxygen bottle.
- All the required Peruvian taxes (IGV)
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED?
- Walking sticks
- Extra transportation required along the trek due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Cusco hotel accommodation.
- Meals not mentioned.
- Personal expenses.
- Travel Insurance (highly recommended)
- In order to provide you a superb personalized attention, it is vital that you send us your rooming list distribution in advance.
- Train stations and train schedules are subject to availability, also due to rainy season Poroy train station is closed from January to April of each year.
- If you would like to climb to Huayna Picchu Mountain, please take in mind that is an unguided hike. If you are interested, please consult with your travel specialist as we need to check availability far in advance.
- The walking sticks are not included, but if you prefer we can arrange to provide you a pair of basic poles (Standard Brand) without any charges; you just need to ask in advance to your travel specialist.
BEST MONTHS TO TRAVEL
Best time to visit
Good time to visit
Average time to visit
[Price upon request]
GRADES OF EXCLUSIVITY
MORE PERU TRAVEL IDEAS
Get inspired for your next holiday
WHAT OUR TRAVELLERS SAY
World Class Luxury Salkantay Trek
With my wife, we did the Salkantay Trek with the luxury standard of View Peru. It was a fantastic experience! Everything that was offered on the program was delivered, with a smile on the face ...
Lares 4 day Glamping Trek
The View Peru signature Lares Trek tour was beyond expectations and it left us content and happy. We chose the Lares Trek because we booked our Peru trip rather late for the Inca Trek (must ...
Nothing but AMAZING!
I’ve travelled the world and have used numerous tour companies for private tours. View Peru is among the best! Working closely together with Milton, one of their trip planners, I knew I was in for ...
OUR PERU TRAVEL BLOG
by View Peru & Signatures