¿Cuándo es el mejor momento para visitar Machu Picchu y Cusco?
The highlight of any travel to Peru is to visit one of the precious Seven Wonders; researching about how to organize your trip is the first step and we can tell already that you are wondering when is the best time to visit Machu Picchu, don’t look any further and find all the information you need to start putting together the perfect holiday to Cusco and remember the locals know better!
It all depends on your preferences!
When planning to visit the highlands of Peru, it is very important to be aware that even if you visit Cusco during dry season rain can still be expected. The weather is truly unpredictable and sensitive, be always prepared and not let this surprise you.
Additionally, also remember that Machu Picchu is a humid and tropical forest, where mist and mud will be presented all year long.
Wet or Rainy Season?
Overall, the wet season has warmer temperatures but rainy days, the dry season has more sunshine, rain drops are unlikely but the temperatures are in its lowest specially during the night.
- – November, is known as a month of transitions from the dry to wet season so it is probably to encounter a rainy day during this time.
- – December, these last year’s december has proven to be unexpected, during this month the first thunderstorms arrive accompanied by heavy rain which for some is an amazing spectacle. Although the weather is way warmer than any dry season month and the crowds has long gone, so you may enjoy of the main attractions including Machu Picchu in a more tranquil way. Also keep in mind that Machu Picchu is a humid forest so the tracks are more likely to be muddy.
- – January, can totally be unexpected like this year january has been nothing but warm and nice, still it can totally be unexpected. Heavy rain can pour down from sky any moment and thunderstorms are also part of Cusco’s decoration during this time. Like december there won’t be heavy crowds the tracks can be muddy especially if doing the last part of the Inca Trail and visiting Machu Picchu.
- – February, the peak of the rainy season feature by thunderstorms and heavy rains and even though it sounds awful it is not. Unlike any other month the sunset starts pass 6:30 pm which is the latest also the weather is in its warmest as soon as the rain stops. During this time the Inca Trail closes but Machu Picchu will still be open and with a bit of luck you can enjoy a wonderful visit nonetheless.
- – March, sometimes the rainy season comes late and those are the years where heavy rains can be expected but in general march is a less wet month in comparison with the last previous two.
- – April, as November is a month of transition where rain can be expected, but with really warm temperatures specially during the day.
- – May, not everyone would tell but May is on the best months to visit Cusco, the rainy season would pretty much be over, but the weather remains warm and nice. And the crowds at this time of the year will still be under control.
- – June, July & August, these three months are the high season peak, and also the months where rain is less likely to be part of your experience and if it does…well it wouldn’t last longer. As a feature of the dry season the temperatures are quite nice during the day but drops drastically during nights sometimes going under 0. That’s why it’s important to bring the appropriate and warm clothes during this time.
- – September, it is a quite nice month to visit Machu Picchu, rain is still unlike but the temperature drops are not as drastically during nights as the previous months.
- – October, is so similar to May and together make the best two months to visit Cusco and so Machu Picchu. The weather is on point and the massive crowds had decreased considerably, so you can fully enjoy of all attractions and even more of Machu Picchu.
A what time should Machu Picchu be visited?
The timelines to visit Machu Picchu had been re-organized by the Culture of Ministry in order to protect the Citadel from large crowds at the same time, because of that nowadays there are 3 groups with 3 different times to visit Machu Picchu. Furthermore, Machu Picchu can also be visited by the afternoons.
But then, when is best to visit Machu Picchu? Still, the best time is very early on the morning which surely will imply to wake up early and this can compromise your experience, for that we recommend you to stay the previous night in Aguas Calientes and avoid and extremely early awaking.
Also if you decide to enter in the last group at 2 pm, that would also work out really well as the big masses start disappearing, and Machu Picchu closes at 5:30 pm giving you enough time to explore the citadel. To obtain more headlines about when to visit Machu Picchu or choose the most suitable group and time well contact us.